~ Refinished the port saloon door~ Replaced the aft head with a brand new Lavac, with a manual pump ~ Scraped out the old caulk from the inside bulwark deck joint, taped and applied new caulking ~ Started repairs to the outside bulwark and rub rail joint, and misc areas requiring attention.
Teak Deck maintenance: The teak deck on CL is in great shape (IMHO). The original woddies decks were made with 7/8" teak, which was nailed in place using bronze, ring shank nails. However I have started to replace missing and warn out bungs, The technique is very simple but time consuming. For replacing a bung which has come out I use the following procedures: 1. Use a punch to set a starter spot on top of the exposed bronze nail head. Then using a 1/4 drill bit I drill on the nail head until it pops off and I remove the excess metal shavings. 2. I then use a punch and set the nail shank further down, about 1/2" so it is out of the way. 3. Then I counter sink the hole for a new screw, slightly offsetting the hole so as not to interfere with the nail. 4. Then I counter sink the overall hole to receive the bung. 5. I then apply some of Tightbond III glue to the screw and hole and set the screw. 6. Now it's time to put glue on the bung and tap it into place, wiping up excess glue (or leaving it for later when its dry. 7. After a day or two drying, the bungs get cut off using a sharp chisel. And the bungs are lightly sanded.
Rebuilding a battery box for one of the 8D house batteries which curroded due to the battery acid.